Saint Jean – The Subterranean Monolithic Church

Related Articles

Related Articles

The church of Saint Jean is located in Aubeterre-sur-Dronne, a commune in the Nouvelle-Aquitaine region of southwestern France.

The church was carved into a limestone cliff along the Dronne valley, overlooking Aubeterre-sur-Dronne sometime during the 8th century AD, with further expansion by Benedictine monks during the 12th century.

Despite being described as a monolithic structure, Saint Jean is not a true monolithic church but is instead a cave church, being carved from a rock face with a front opening closed by a wall.

 

Little is known about the early phase of construction; a large cavity was cut from the rock with a baptismal font placed in the floor of the nave, which is generally accepted to date from the 8th century, but some historians suggest an earlier date of around the 4th century during the Roman period.

Image Credit : Lamiot – CC BY-SA 4.0

During the 12th century, the church was enlarged to its present form and was named the L’église souterraine Saint Jean to house religious artifacts, possibly as a sacred reliquary for pilgrims passing along the route of the old pilgrim’s way to Santiago di Compostela in northern Spain.

It is believed that Benedictine monks (disciples of St. Maurus, the first disciple of St. Benedict of Nursia, who founded the order in 529) were responsible for the expansion, inspired by the Sepulchre in Jerusalem.

Image Credit : Lamiot – CC BY-SA 4.0

The church consists of a central nave with a 17-metre-high ceiling, an aisle separated by octagonal pillars, a stone reliquary, and two chapels. Beneath the nave is a crypt, containing a necropolis housing hundreds of stone tombs or sarcophagi.

Saint Jean remained a centre for religious worship as a parish church in Aubeterre-sur-Dronne until the outbreak of the French revolution, where it was transformed into a saltpeter (Potassium nitrate) manufacturing workshop, saltpeter being one of the major constituents of gunpowder.

Image Credit : Lamiot – CC BY-SA 4.0

After the war, the church was used as a cemetery, but the practice was abolished after a public health decree in 1865. From 1912, Saint Jean was designated a protected monument under the “Monument Historique” act.

Header Image Credit : Lamiot – CC BY-SA 4.0

Download the HeritageDaily mobile application on iOS and Android

More on this topic

LATEST NEWS

Camulodunum – The First Capital of Britannia

Camulodunum was a Roman city and the first capital of the Roman province of Britannia, in what is now the present-day city of Colchester in Essex, England.

African Crocodiles Lived in Spain Six Million Years Ago

Millions of years ago, several species of crocodiles of different genera and characteristics inhabited Europe and sometimes even coexisted.

Bat-Winged Dinosaurs That Could Glide

Despite having bat-like wings, two small dinosaurs, Yi and Ambopteryx, struggled to fly, only managing to glide clumsily between the trees where they lived, according to a new study led by an international team of researchers, including McGill University Professor Hans Larsson.

Ancient Maya Built Sophisticated Water Filters

Ancient Maya in the once-bustling city of Tikal built sophisticated water filters using natural materials they imported from miles away, according to the University of Cincinnati.

New Clues Revealed About Clovis People

There is much debate surrounding the age of the Clovis - a prehistoric culture named for stone tools found near Clovis, New Mexico in the early 1930s - who once occupied North America during the end of the last Ice Age.

Cognitive Elements of Language Have Existed for 40 Million Years

Humans are not the only beings that can identify rules in complex language-like constructions - monkeys and great apes can do so, too, a study at the University of Zurich has shown.

Bronze Age Herders Were Less Mobile Than Previously Thought

Bronze Age pastoralists in what is now southern Russia apparently covered shorter distances than previously thought.

Legio IX Hispana – The Lost Roman Legion

One of the most debated mysteries from the Roman period involves the disappearance of the Legio IX Hispana, a legion of the Imperial Roman Army that supposedly vanished sometime after AD 120.

Popular stories

Legio IX Hispana – The Lost Roman Legion

One of the most debated mysteries from the Roman period involves the disappearance of the Legio IX Hispana, a legion of the Imperial Roman Army that supposedly vanished sometime after AD 120.

The Secret Hellfire Club and the Hellfire Caves

The Hellfire Club was an exclusive membership-based organisation for high-society rakes, that was first founded in London in 1718, by Philip, Duke of Wharton, and several of society's elites.

Port Royal – The Sodom of the New World

Port Royal, originally named Cagway was an English harbour town and base of operations for buccaneers and privateers (pirates) until the great earthquake of 1692.

Matthew Hopkins – The Real Witch-Hunter

Matthew Hopkins was an infamous witch-hunter during the 17th century, who published “The Discovery of Witches” in 1647, and whose witch-hunting methods were applied during the notorious Salem Witch Trials in colonial Massachusetts.