Viroconium – Wroxeter Roman City

Related Articles

Related Articles

Viroconium, now named Wroxeter Roman City is an archaeological site located in the village of Wroxeter in Shropshire, England.

The region was ruled over by the Cornovii, an Iron Age tribe of the Britons whose territory covered Cheshire, Shropshire, north Staffordshire, north Herefordshire and eastern parts of the Welsh counties. After the Roman invasion of Cornovian territory in AD 47, the Cornovii capital was moved from their proposed stronghold of Wrekin hillfort.

Image Credit : Zoltan Kuruc

 

Viroconium was first established as a frontier post for Thracian Auxilia during campaigns by Publius Ostorius Scapula, a general and governor for the province of Britannia. The site was chosen to protect the River Severn valley from Cambria (Wales) and due to its proximity to Watling Street, a major Roman highway that traversed across the province.

By the mid-first century, the site became one of the staging posts for the invasion of Cambria and was garrisoned by the Legio XIV Gemina as a legionary fortress. By the end of 80 AD, the military justification at Viroconium became defunct and the site evolved from the canabae that had surrounded the fort, into a major Roman settlement with a civic street grid.

Image Credit : Zoltan Kuruc

Viroconium prospered over the next century, with the construction of many public buildings, including thermae, temples, shops, basilica, and a colonnaded forum. At its peak, it is thought to have been the 4th-largest settlement in Roman Britain, with a population of more than 15,000 inhabitants covering an area of 173 acres.

Something unique to Viroconium was the recruitment of Cornovii tribesman to a native British unit, the Cohors Primae Cornoviorum. Although the strength of the unit is unknown, it is estimated that the cohort was an infantry unit of around 500 Cornovii soldiers. By the 4th century, the unit was garrisoned at the fort of Pons Aelius, an auxiliary castra on Hadrian’s Wall.

Image Credit : Zoltan Kuruc

Following the end of Roman rule in Britain around 410, the Cornovii tribe divided into Pengwern (Shropshire) and Powys. This socio-political division started Viroconium’s decline as an important settlement.

It is suggested that Viroconium served as the capital of the Kingdom of Powys as an early sub-Roman capital, as written in the Historia Brittonum, although any factual credibility to the text is questionable. Town life in Viroconium continued in the fifth century, with many Roman buildings being replaced with timber-framed structures on rubble platforms.

Image Credit : Zoltan Kuruc

Viroconium was abandoned around the mid-sixth century when a ‘Great Plague’ is known to have swept through Britain, or possibly in the seventh century, when the Anglo-Saxons took control of the region.

Header Image Credit : English Heritage

Download the HeritageDaily mobile application on iOS and Android

More on this topic

LATEST NEWS

Ancient Mosaic Criticises Christianity

An ancient mosaic from a 4th-century house in the centre of the ancient city of Paphos in Cyprus, was a 'pictorial' criticism of Christianity according to experts.

Geoscience: Cosmic Diamonds Formed During Gigantic Planetary Collisions

It is estimated that over 10 million asteroids are circling the Earth in the asteroid belt. They are relics from the early days of our solar system, when our planets formed out of a large cloud of gas and dust rotating around the sun.

Vettuvan Koil – The Temple of the Slayer

Vettuvan Koil is a rock-cut temple, located in Kalugumalai, a panchayat town on the ancient trade routes from Kovilpatti to courtallam, in the southern Indian state of Tamil Nadu.

The Testimony of Trees: How Volcanic Eruptions Shaped 2000 Years of World History

Researchers have shown that over the past two thousand years, volcanoes have played a larger role in natural temperature variability than previously thought, and their climatic effects may have contributed to past societal and economic change.

Sentinels of Ocean Acidification Impacts Survived Earth’s Last Mass Extinction

Two groups of tiny, delicate marine organisms, sea butterflies and sea angels, were found to be surprisingly resilient--having survived dramatic global climate change and Earth's most recent mass extinction event 66 million years ago.

The Venerable Ensign Wasp, Killing Cockroaches For 25 million Years

An Oregon State University study has identified four new species of parasitic, cockroach-killing ensign wasps that became encased in tree resin 25 million years ago and were preserved as the resin fossilized into amber.

Modern Humans Reached Westernmost Europe 5,000 Years Earlier Than Previously Known

Modern humans arrived in the westernmost part of Europe 41,000 - 38,000 years ago, about 5,000 years earlier than previously known, according to Jonathan Haws, Ph.D., professor and chair of the Department of Anthropology at the University of Louisville, and an international team of researchers.

Akrotiri – The Ancient Town Buried by a Volcano

Akrotiri is an archaeological site and a Cycladic Bronze Age town, located on the Greek island of Santorini (Thera) near the present-day village of Akrotiri (for which the prehistoric site is named).

Popular stories

The Secret Hellfire Club and the Hellfire Caves

The Hellfire Club was an exclusive membership-based organisation for high-society rakes, that was first founded in London in 1718, by Philip, Duke of Wharton, and several of society's elites.

Port Royal – The Sodom of the New World

Port Royal, originally named Cagway was an English harbour town and base of operations for buccaneers and privateers (pirates) until the great earthquake of 1692.

Matthew Hopkins – The Real Witch-Hunter

Matthew Hopkins was an infamous witch-hunter during the 17th century, who published “The Discovery of Witches” in 1647, and whose witch-hunting methods were applied during the notorious Salem Witch Trials in colonial Massachusetts.

Did Corn Fuel Cahokia’s Rise?

A new study suggests that corn was the staple subsistence crop that allowed the pre-Columbian city of Cahokia to rise to prominence and flourish for nearly 300 years.