Date:

Excavations of Mount Ellanio summit reveals Mycenaean refuge

A team of Archaeologists are conducting a study of Mount Ellanio, the tallest peak on the Greek island of Aegina.

Situated near the mountain summit is the Temple of Zeus Hellanios, a 4th century Greek temple where a 13th-century Byzantine church now stands.

- Advertisement -

A Greek-Swiss archaeological mission is currently conducting excavations on the summit to find traces of the mountain’s prehistoric occupation, in addition to finds associated with the Temple of Zeus Hellanios.

In a press statement issued by the Greek Ministry of Culture, the mission has discovered a Mycenaean building measuring 4.5 by 3 metres, in which they also uncovered over thirty ceramic vessels within the building’s interior.

Based on the form and style of the vessels, the researchers suggest that they date from the decline of the Mycenaean palatial system, a period of destruction between 1200–1050 BC.

Image Credit : Greek Ministry of Culture

The cause of the destruction has long been the subject of academic debate, with some theories suggestion a series of natural disasters, or a period of conflict – evidenced by a building program of defences around major population centres.

- Advertisement -

As a result of this turmoil, specific regions in mainland Greece witnessed a dramatic population decrease as Mycenaean refugees migrated to Cyprus, the levant, and several of the Greek islands.

According to the archaeologists, the people on Aegina likely settled on the summit as a refuge and for protection, as the mountain was already known to them as a place of worship.

To understand the surrounding landscape, the mission also conducted a surface survey which revealed traces of human occupation from the prehistoric period until the mid-20th century, including retaining walls, an ancient tower, quarries, rock inscriptions, and several abandoned settlements.

Header Image Credit : Greek Ministry of Culture

Sources : Greek Ministry of Culture

- Advertisement -
spot_img
Mark Milligan
Mark Milligan
Mark Milligan is multi-award-winning journalist and the Managing Editor at HeritageDaily. His background is in archaeology and computer science, having written over 8,000 articles across several online publications. Mark is a member of the Association of British Science Writers (ABSW), the World Federation of Science Journalists, and in 2023 was the recipient of the British Citizen Award for Education, the BCA Medal of Honour, and the UK Prime Minister's Points of Light Award.
spot_img

Mobile Application

spot_img

Related Articles

Traces of Bahrain’s lost Christian community found in Samahij

Archaeologists from the University of Exeter, in collaboration with the Bahrain Authority for Culture and Antiquities, have discovered the first physical evidence of a long-lost Christian community in Samahij, Bahrain.

Archaeologists uncover preserved wooden elements from Neolithic settlement

Archaeologists have discovered wooden architectural elements at the La Draga Neolithic settlement.

Pyramid of the Moon marked astronomical orientation axis of Teōtīhuacān

Teōtīhuacān, loosely translated as "birthplace of the gods," is an ancient Mesoamerican city situated in the Teotihuacan Valley, Mexico.

Anglo-Saxon cemetery discovered in Malmesbury

Archaeologists have discovered an Anglo-Saxon cemetery in the grounds of the Old Bell Hotel in Malmesbury, England.

Musket balls from “Concord Fight” found in Massachusetts

Archaeologists have unearthed five musket balls fired during the opening battle of the Revolutionary War at Minute Man National Historical Park in Concord, United States.

3500-year-old ritual table found in Azerbaijan

Archaeologists from the University of Catania have discovered a 3500-year-old ritual table with the ceramic tableware still in...

Archaeologists unearth 4,000-year-old temple complex

Archaeologists from the University of Siena have unearthed a 4,000-year-old temple complex on Cyprus.

Rare cherubs made by master mason discovered at Visegrád Castle

A pair of cherubs made by the Renaissance master, Benedetto da Maiano, have been discovered in the grounds of Visegrád Castle.