Petra – The Rose City

Related Articles

Related Articles

Petra is an archaeological site and ancient city of the Nabataeans, located around the mountain of Jabal Al-Madbah in southern Jordan.

The earliest evidence of occupation dates from around 7000 BC, with evidence of a Neolithic farming settlement inhabited by a pre-pottery culture. From the 7th century BC, an Edomite stronghold or settlement was established at the top of the Umm el-Biyara mountain.

Petra, originally named Raqmu was founded by the Nabataeans (also called Nabateans), a nomadic Bedouin tribe from the Arabian Desert who moved their herds across the desert in search of pasture and water. The Nabataeans emerged as a distinct civilisation and political entity between the 4th and 2nd century BC, with Petra being established from the 2nd century BC (as indicated by the archaeology in situ).

 

Image Credit : Teseum

The Nabatean rulers established Petra as a regional trading hub with a focus on the spice trade, connected to a trading network reaching as far as China, Egypt, Greece, and India. The city grew into the proposed centre or capital of the Nabatean kingdom and swelled at its apex to a population of between 10,000 and 30,000 inhabitants by the 1st century AD.

The Nabatean’s were expert builders who were able to develop advanced methods for water storage and rock-cut construction. This was demonstrated through a mixture of Hellenistic and Mesopotamian styles of architecture in such monuments as the Al-Khazneh, the Ad-Deir, and a rock-cut theatre that could house 8500 spectators.

Image Credit : Public Domain

With the expansion of the Roman Republic, Petra became a client state of Rome in the first century BC. The Romans would eventually annex Nabataea into the Roman Empire in AD 106, renaming the region to the province of Arabia Petraea and establishing Petra as the provincial capital.

The city would continue to flourish under Roman rule, but revisions in the sea-based trade routes would eventually lead to a loss in status as a trading hub and Petra’s fortunes would start to decline.

The Byzantines would continue to inhabit Petra as the capital of the Byzantine province of Palaestina III, but the difficulties in trade and a series of earthquakes would lead to the cities nadir near the close of the Byzantine Empire’s rule, around AD 700.

Header Image Credit – Public Domain

Download the HeritageDaily mobile application on iOS and Android

More on this topic

LATEST NEWS

Aelia Capitolina – Roman Jerusalem

Aelia Capitolina was a Roman colony, constructed after the siege of 70 AD during the First Jewish-Roman War, when the city of Jerusalem and the Second Temple on Temple Mount was destroyed.

Wild Birds as Offerings to the Egyptian Gods

Millions of ibis and birds of prey mummies, sacrificed to the Egyptian gods Horus, Ra or Thoth, have been discovered in the necropolises of the Nile Valley.

Karahundj – The Ancient Speaking Stones

Karahundj, also called Carahunge and Zorats Karer is an ancient stone complex, constructed on a mountain plateau in the Syunik Province of Armenia.

Palaeontologists Establish Spinosaurus Was Real Life ‘River Monster’

A discovery of more than a thousand dinosaur teeth, by a team of researchers from the University of Portsmouth, proves beyond reasonable doubt that Spinosaurus, the giant predator made famous by the movie Jurassic Park III as well as the BBC documentary Planet Dinosaur was an enormous river-monster.

Archaeology Uncovers Infectious Disease Spread – 4000 Years Ago

New bioarchaeology research from a University of Otago PhD candidate has shown how infectious diseases may have spread 4000 years ago, while highlighting the dangers of letting such diseases run rife.

Buhen – The Sunken Egyptian Fortress

Buhen was an ancient Egyptian settlement and fortress, located on the West bank of the Nile in present-day Sudan.

The Modhera Sun Temple

The Sun Temple is an ancient Hindu temple complex located on a latitude of 23.6° (near Tropic of Cancer) on the banks of the Pushpavati river at Modhera in Gujarat, India.

Scientists Hunt For Lost WW2 Bunkers Designed to Hold Off Invasion

New research published by scientists from Keele, Staffordshire and London South Bank Universities, has unveiled extraordinary new insights into a forgotten band of secret fighters created to slow down potential invaders during World War Two.

Popular stories

The Secret Hellfire Club and the Hellfire Caves

The Hellfire Club was an exclusive membership-based organisation for high-society rakes, that was first founded in London in 1718, by Philip, Duke of Wharton, and several of society's elites.

Port Royal – The Sodom of the New World

Port Royal, originally named Cagway was an English harbour town and base of operations for buccaneers and privateers (pirates) until the great earthquake of 1692.

Matthew Hopkins – The Real Witch-Hunter

Matthew Hopkins was an infamous witch-hunter during the 17th century, who published “The Discovery of Witches” in 1647, and whose witch-hunting methods were applied during the notorious Salem Witch Trials in colonial Massachusetts.

Did Corn Fuel Cahokia’s Rise?

A new study suggests that corn was the staple subsistence crop that allowed the pre-Columbian city of Cahokia to rise to prominence and flourish for nearly 300 years.