Date:

Archaeologists uncover structure linked to the cult of Kukulcán

Archaeologists conducting excavations at Itzamkanac, also known as El Tigre, have uncovered a structure linked to the cult of Kukulcán.

Itzamkanac was the capital of the Acalán Maya, located in the Yucatán Peninsula in the Mexican state of Campeche. The early centre of the city dates from the late Maya Preclassic period, while the majority of structures standing today were constructed during the early Classic period.

In the year 1525, Hernán Cortés briefly visited the city during his expedition to Honduras, aimed at quelling the rebellion led by Cristóbal de Olid. Spanish chroniclers at the time record that the city was divided into four districts and had a population of approximately 4,000 inhabitants.

Excavations conducted by the National Institute of Anthropology and History (INAH) have explored a circular structure which dates from between AD 1000-1200. According to the researchers, the structure is linked to the cult of Kukulcán, related to the Aztec wind god, Quetzalcóatl.

- Advertisement -

The Kukulkan/Quetzalcoatl cult marked a significant departure from the traditional linguistic and ethnic boundaries of the Mesoamerican world during the Classic Period. This religious movement played a pivotal role in fostering communication and harmonious trade among diverse groups with varying social and ethnic backgrounds.

While its origins were rooted in the ancient city of Chichen Itza, situated in the present-day Mexican state of Yucatán, it extended its influence as far as the Guatemalan Highlands and northern Belize.

In the Paxbolón Maldonado Papers, it is mentioned Itzamkanac had temples dedicated to the four main deities of the Postclassic Maya, one of them being Kukulcán.

According to the researchers, the structure corresponds with the period recorded in historical text, a time when Itzamkanac had ties with other regions of Mesoamerica, such as central Mexico, Oaxaca and the Gulf Coast.

INAH

Header Image Credit : HJPD – GNU License

- Advertisement -

Mobile Application

spot_img

Related Articles

Geophysical study finds evidence of “labyrinth” buried beneath Mitla

A geophysical study has found underground structures and tunnels beneath Mitla – The Zapotec “Place of the Dead”

Discovery of a Romanesque religious structure rewrites history of Frauenchiemsee

Archaeologists from the Bavarian State Office for Monument Preservation have announced the discovery of a Romanesque religious structure on the island of Frauenchiemsee, the second largest of the three islands in Chiemsee, Germany.

Ring discovery suggests a previously unknown princely family in Southwest Jutland

A ring discovered in Southwest Jutland, Denmark, suggests a previously unknown princely family who had strong connections with the rulers of France.

Submerged evidence of rice cultivation and slavery found in North Carolina

Researchers from the University of North Carolina Wilmington (UNCW) are using side-scan sonar and positioning systems to find evidence of rice cultivation and slavery beneath the depths of North Carolina’s lower Cape Fear and Brunswick rivers.

Study reveals oldest and longest example of Vasconic script

A new study of the 2100-year-old Hand of Irulegi has revealed the oldest and longest example of Vasconic script.

Archaeologists excavate the marginalised community of Vaakunakylä

Archaeologists have excavated the marginalised community of Vaakunakylä, a former Nazi barracks occupied by homeless Finns following the end of WW2.

Archaeologists find 4,000-year-old cobra-shaped ceramic handle

A team of archaeologists from National Tsing Hua University in Taiwan have uncovered a 4,000-year-old cobra-shaped ceramic handle in the Guanyin District of Taoyuan City.

Traces of Khan al-Tujjar caravanserais found at foot of Mount Tabor

During excavations near Beit Keshet in Lower Galilee, Israel, archaeologists from the Israel Antiquities Authority (IAA) have uncovered traces of a market within the historic Khan al-Tujjar caravanserais.