The Meta Romuli – The Lost Roman Pyramid

The Meta Romuli, also called the Piramide Vaticana was a large pyramid shaped monument, constructed by the Romans between the Circus Neronis, and the Mausoleum of Hadrian in the ancient city of Rome.

Pyramidal construction for sepulchral monuments was a growing burial trend for societal elite during the reign of Caesar Augustus and the first imperial age. Construction of the monuments shared cultural influences that arguably came from Egypt, or the neighbouring kingdom of Meroë in present-day Sudan (which Rome attacked in 23 BC).

The first mention of the Meta Romuli dates from the 5th century AD in writings by Helenius Acron, who mentions that the ashes of Publius Cornelius Scipio Africanus were taken from a pyramid in the Vatican.

Due to the similarity with the Pyramid of Cestius, it was a popular belief during the Middle Ages that the Meta Romuli, and the Pyramid of Cestius (called the Meta Remi at the time) housed the tombs of the legendary founders of Rome – Romulus and Remus.

- Advertisement -
Pyramid of Cestius – Image Credit : Alexandr Medvedkov – Shutterstock

The Meta Romuli was also associated with the site of the martyrdom of Saint Peter, described as “ad Therebintum inter duas metas…in Vaticano”, and subsequently was often featured in depictions of St. Peter’s martyrdom and visited by pilgrims on their route to St. Peter’s Basilica.

According to 15th century accounts, the Meta Romuli was constructed to a height of between 32-50 metres, and covered an area of 625 m². The interior was accessed via a long tunnel that led to a 10.5m tall inner chamber, containing four niches that held the cremated burials.

The Mirabilia Urbis Romae (a 12th century guide of Rome) describes “by the Naumachia stands the tomb of Romulus, which is called Meta, and was covered with fine stone [marble], out of which the floor and the stairway of St.Peter’s were made. It had a 20-foot open space around it, made of travertine, with its own drainage gutter and flowers.”

Despite the important religious significance of the Meta Romuli, in AD 1498 Pope Alexander VI ordered its demolition to make way for the planned Via Alessandrina, a road which would connect the Vatican with a bridge across the Tiber. However, in a letter written to Pope Leo X in AD 1519 by the Italian painter and architect, Raphael, he describes how he could still see the remains of the monument decades later.

In AD 1948–49, during works for the construction of the first block of the north side of Via della Conciliazione, the foundations of the Meta Romuli were rediscovered in today’s Borgo district of Rome.

Header Image : The Meta Romuli depicted by Cimabué – Public Domain

- Advertisement -
Mark Milligan
Mark Milligan
Mark Milligan is multi-award-winning journalist and the Managing Editor at HeritageDaily. His background is in archaeology and computer science, having written over 7,500 articles across several online publications. Mark is a member of the Association of British Science Writers (ABSW), the World Federation of Science Journalists, and in 2023 was the recipient of the British Citizen Award for Education, the BCA Medal of Honour, and the UK Prime Minister's Points of Light Award.

Mobile Application

spot_img

Related Articles

Researchers find that Żagań-Lutnia5 is an Iron Age stronghold

Archaeologists have conducted a ground penetrating radar (GPR) survey of Żagań-Lutnia5, revealing that the monument is an Iron Age stronghold.

Rare copper dagger found in Polish forest

A rare copper dagger from over 4,000-years-ago has been discovered in the forests near Korzenica, southeastern Poland.

Neanderthals created stone tools held together by a multi-component adhesive

A new study published in the journal Science Advances has found evidence of Neanderthals creating stone tools that are held together using a multi-component adhesive.

Roman funerary altar found partially buried in Torre river

Archaeologists have recovered a Roman funerary altar which was found partially buried in the Torree river in the municipality of San Vito al Torre, Italy.

Post-medieval township discovered in Scottish forest

Archaeologists have uncovered the remains of a pre-medieval township in the Glen Brittle Forest on the Isle of Skye.

Geophysical study finds evidence of “labyrinth” buried beneath Mitla

A geophysical study has found underground structures and tunnels beneath Mitla – The Zapotec “Place of the Dead”

Discovery of a Romanesque religious structure rewrites history of Frauenchiemsee

Archaeologists from the Bavarian State Office for Monument Preservation have announced the discovery of a Romanesque religious structure on the island of Frauenchiemsee, the second largest of the three islands in Chiemsee, Germany.

Ring discovery suggests a previously unknown princely family in Southwest Jutland

A ring discovered in Southwest Jutland, Denmark, suggests a previously unknown princely family who had strong connections with the rulers of France.