New Discoveries at Hitler’s Wolf’s Lair

Related Articles

Related Articles

Researchers at the Wolf’s Lair, Hitler’s military headquarters located in the Masurian woods, Poland have made several new discoveries.

The Wolf’s Lair was Adolf Hitler’s first Eastern Front military headquarters, constructed in WW2 for the start of Operation Barbarossa, the invasion of the Soviet Union in 1941.

In July 1944, an attempt was made to kill Hitler by a group of acting and retired Heer officers at the site, which became known as the 20 July plot.

 

Exploration works have been carried out for several months by the Laterba Foundation from Gdańsk, with the consent of the State Forests and the Provincial Conservator of Monuments in Olsztyn.

Zenon Piotrowicz, the forest inspector of the Srokowo forest division said: “We were convinced that for decades the area had been extensively dug and thought that there would be no more discoveries left to find.”

In recent weeks, researchers have recovered several armoured doors, the stairs to Hitler’s barracks and the doors to protect against chemical attack from two bunkers, including Hitler’s personal bunker. Also, from Hitler’s bunker, the researchers found many smaller items that include the water fittings, boiler, pipes, taps, and sinks.

One notable discovery is a stone engraved with the Fuerher’s escort battalion and a painted flag. “The discovery allows us to determine what barracks they lived in and how the unit was marked. It is also necessary to find a context for displaying the find so that it can be presented as a historical fact, without promoting a criminal ideology” – said Zenon Piotrowicz.

PAP

Header Image Credit : Andrzej Otrębski

Download the HeritageDaily mobile application on iOS and Android

More on this topic

LATEST NEWS

The Great Wall of Gorgan

The Great Wall of Gorgan, also called the "The Red Snake" or “Alexander's Barrier” is the second-longest defensive wall (after the Great Wall of China), which ran for 121 miles from a narrowing between the Caspian Sea north of Gonbade Kavous (ancient Gorgan, or Jorjan in Arabic) and the Pishkamar mountains of north-eastern Iran.

Aelia Capitolina – Roman Jerusalem

Aelia Capitolina was a Roman colony, constructed after the siege of 70 AD during the First Jewish-Roman War, when the city of Jerusalem and the Second Temple on Temple Mount was destroyed.

Wild Birds as Offerings to the Egyptian Gods

Millions of ibis and birds of prey mummies, sacrificed to the Egyptian gods Horus, Ra or Thoth, have been discovered in the necropolises of the Nile Valley.

Karahundj – The Ancient Speaking Stones

Karahundj, also called Carahunge and Zorats Karer is an ancient stone complex, constructed on a mountain plateau in the Syunik Province of Armenia.

Palaeontologists Establish Spinosaurus Was Real Life ‘River Monster’

A discovery of more than a thousand dinosaur teeth, by a team of researchers from the University of Portsmouth, proves beyond reasonable doubt that Spinosaurus, the giant predator made famous by the movie Jurassic Park III as well as the BBC documentary Planet Dinosaur was an enormous river-monster.

Archaeology Uncovers Infectious Disease Spread – 4000 Years Ago

New bioarchaeology research from a University of Otago PhD candidate has shown how infectious diseases may have spread 4000 years ago, while highlighting the dangers of letting such diseases run rife.

Buhen – The Sunken Egyptian Fortress

Buhen was an ancient Egyptian settlement and fortress, located on the West bank of the Nile in present-day Sudan.

The Modhera Sun Temple

The Sun Temple is an ancient Hindu temple complex located on a latitude of 23.6° (near Tropic of Cancer) on the banks of the Pushpavati river at Modhera in Gujarat, India.

Popular stories

The Secret Hellfire Club and the Hellfire Caves

The Hellfire Club was an exclusive membership-based organisation for high-society rakes, that was first founded in London in 1718, by Philip, Duke of Wharton, and several of society's elites.

Port Royal – The Sodom of the New World

Port Royal, originally named Cagway was an English harbour town and base of operations for buccaneers and privateers (pirates) until the great earthquake of 1692.

Matthew Hopkins – The Real Witch-Hunter

Matthew Hopkins was an infamous witch-hunter during the 17th century, who published “The Discovery of Witches” in 1647, and whose witch-hunting methods were applied during the notorious Salem Witch Trials in colonial Massachusetts.

Did Corn Fuel Cahokia’s Rise?

A new study suggests that corn was the staple subsistence crop that allowed the pre-Columbian city of Cahokia to rise to prominence and flourish for nearly 300 years.