Date:

The Belogradchik Fortress

Belogradchik Fortress, also known as Kaleto, is an ancient fortress and Roman stronghold, constructed within the Belogradchik Formation on the slopes of the Balkan Mountains in the Vidin Province of Bulgaria.

The Romans constructed a stronghold at Belogradchik during the 3rd century AD to protect the transport of goods and gold from Thracian lands. This early fortification was situated on the highest naturally inaccessible part of the rocks now called the citadel, remaining in use throughout the Byzantine period for surveillance of the surrounding region.

- Advertisement -

Emperor Justinian I made further additions to Belogradchik during the 6th century AD, however, the Slavic invasions of the Balkan Peninsula led to the destruction of the fortress, leaving Belogradchik an abandoned ruin until a period of reconstruction in the 7th century AD and the Middle Ages.

Ivan Stratsimir, the Bulgarian tsar of Vidin extended the old fortress in the 14th century, making Belogradchik second in importance only to the tsar’s capital fortress of Baba Vida. After the disastrous battle of Nicopolis in 1396, the Ottomans marched to Vidin and captured Ivan Sratsimir, imprisoning the tsar in Bursa, before executing him by strangulation.

shutterstock 112558628
Image Credit : Ilko Iliev

For a short period, the fortress was under the rule of the Hungarian King Ludovic I, but in 1396 Belogradchik was conquered by the Turks and incorporated into the Ottoman Empire. Further periods of reconstruction followed to ensure Ottoman rule, but in part was due to the hajduk and insurrectionist activity in the region.

The stronghold had an important role in the Ottoman suppression of the Bulgarian Belogradchik Uprising of 1850. Bulgarian peasants opposed to the feudal oppression which, as practiced by the Ottoman regime, involved a direct robbery disguised as tributes levied by Turkish feudal lords, rose up and marched on Belogradchik but were unable to take the fortress.

- Advertisement -

Belogradchik was last used in warfare during the siege of Belogradchik during the Russo-Turkish war in 1878 and the Serbo-Bulgarian War in 1885.

Header Image Credit : Todor Stoyanov

- Advertisement -
spot_img
Mark Milligan
Mark Milligan
Mark Milligan is multi-award-winning journalist and the Managing Editor at HeritageDaily. His background is in archaeology and computer science, having written over 8,000 articles across several online publications. Mark is a member of the Association of British Science Writers (ABSW), the World Federation of Science Journalists, and in 2023 was the recipient of the British Citizen Award for Education, the BCA Medal of Honour, and the UK Prime Minister's Points of Light Award.
spot_img

Mobile Application

spot_img

Related Articles

Giant moat found separating the City of David from Temple Mount

Archaeologists from the Israel Antiquities Authority (IAA) and Tel Aviv University have discovered a large 30 metre wide moat that separated the City of David from Temple Mount.

Mysterious stone carving depicting a human face found in Kazakhstan

A recent survey by the Ministry of Emergency Situations has uncovered a mysterious stone carving depicting a human face in the Akmola Region of Kazakhstan.

Brass trumpets among cargo of 16th century shipwreck

Underwater archaeologists from the International Centre for Underwater Archaeology in Zadar have discovered a cargo of brass trumpets at the wreck site of a 16th-century ship.

Ancient Egyptian carvings found submerged in Lake Nasser

A joint French/Egyptian archaeological mission has discovered a collection of Ancient Egyptian carvings beneath the waters of Lake Nasser, Egypt.

3,800-year-old textile dyed using insects found in desert cave

Archaeologists from the Israel Antiquities Authority (IAA), Bar-Ilan University, and the Hebrew University of Jerusalem, have discovered the earliest known example in Israel of red-dyed textiles made using insects.

Archaeologists discover traces of Roman circus at Iruña-Veleia

Archaeologists from ARKIKUS have announced the discovery of a Roman circus at Iruña-Veleia, a former Roman town in Hispania, now located in the province of Álava, Basque Autonomous Community, Spain.

Archaeologists make new discoveries at Bodbury Ring hillfort

Bodbury Ring is a univallate hillfort, strategically located at the southern tip of Bodbury Hill in Shropshire, England.

Lost crusader altar discovered in holiest site of Christendom

Archaeologists from the Austrian Academy of Sciences (ÖAW), working in collaboration with the Israel Antiquities Authority (IAA), have discovered a lost crusader altar in the Church of the Holy Sepulchre.