Weather Station Kurt (Wetter-Funkgerät Land-26) was an automatic weather station, erected by aGerman U-boat crew in Northern Labrador, Newfoundland in October 1943. Installing the equipment for the station was the only known armed German military operation on land in North America during the Second World War.
The station was forgotten until 1977 when Peter Johnson, a geomorphologist working on an unrelated project, stumbled upon the German weather station. He suspected it was a Canadian military installation, and named it “Martin Bay 7”. Around the same time, a retired Siemens engineer named Franz Selinger, who was writing a history of the company, went through Sommermeyer’s papers and learned of the station’s existence. He contacted CanadianDepartment of National Defence historian W.A.B. Douglas, who went to the site with a team in 1981 and found the station still there, although canisters had been opened and components strewn about the site. Weather Station Kurt was brought to Ottawa and is now on display at the Canadian War Museum.