Today’s buildings are tomorrows archaeology, but often when buildings are left to decay and ruin, it creates a snapshot in time. Often forgotten, a picture can capture that moment that otherwise is lost when developers move in to breath new life into a building…
Battersea Power Station
Battersea Power Station is a decommissioned coal-fired power station located on the south bank of the River Thames, in Battersea, an inner-city district of South West London, England. The station ceased generating electricity in 1983, but over the past 50 years it has become one of the best known landmarks in London and is Grade II* listed.
St Clements Hospital
St Clements Hospital was a mental health hospital in Mile End, in the East End of London, England that closed in 2005. The buildings were originally built in 1848-49 as a workhouse, for the Board of Guardians of the City of London Union. It became an infirmary for the CLU in 1874, and in 1912 the Bow Institution for the long-term sick. In 1936 it became a psychiatric unit, under the St Clement’s name again until closure in 2005.
St Peter’s Hospital Mortuary
St Peter’s Mortuary was built in the 1940’s, on the outskirts of the main hospital in Surrey England. Closed in 2009, the site has laid vacant to present day.
Queen Elizabeth Hospital for Children
The former Queen Elizabeth Hospital for Children Bethnal was built in the London Borough of Tower Hamlets in the 1870’s. It was went though further phases of reconstruction and extensions until it was closed in 1997.
The Rotor Bunker was an RAF station in England, part of a chain of home radar stations. The site remained active until 1990 when it was officially decommissioned and closed.
Article Credit : Unexposed Photography – Visit today
© Copyright HeritageDaily - Heritage & Archaeology News